Case Study – Liddell Power Station Upgrade
Acrodyne was requested to propose a suitable solution as a replacement actuator for a high temperature environment. The requirement was for the actuator to be capable of withstanding temperatures of upto 120°C. The selection criteria was extensive due to the need to upgrade 400 units throughout the plant.
The actuators are located across 4 boilers on wind boxes that control airflow / direction into the boiler.
Category: Power Generation / Boiler Control
Products: Beck Group 75 High Temp Electric Actuators
Liddell Power Station is one of four power stations in New South Wales, with a generating capacity of 2,200 megawatts. The Station is located between Singleton and Muswellbrook in the Upper Hunter Valley of NSW.
Acrodyne approached Harold Beck and Sons Inc to design an electric actuator capable of operating in an extreme environment rated to 120°C. Harold Beck had already started preliminary designs and concepts for such an application, but with the formal request from Acrodyne on behalf of Liddell Power Station it gave them justification to proceed further in the final design.
An existing Group 75 actuator was modified with the following considerations:
- Temperature Rating up to 250°F (120°C)
- 100% Continuous Modulating Duty
- Multiple Mounting Options
- Positioning to 0.10%
- Maintenance Free
- 3 Year Warranty
The facility immediately commissioned a trial of 2 Beck Group 75 actuators into the power station. Now with over 100 units installed and the after sales service and support of Acrodyne, Liddell Power Station can enjoy the following benefits:
- The compact design made the installation straight forward
- Power Station now has the ability to utilize the Beck actuators reliability and precision to better tune the boilers
- The modular design of the actuator provides the option for upgrading controls
- 3 year warranty and commitment to provide product support for the life of the unit
Products and services used
- Beck Group 75 High Temp Electric Actuator
- Acrodyne Sales and Service
THIS TECHNICAL REFERENCE IS ACRODYNE’S INTERPRETATION OF THE PROJECT BUT IT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE END USER